Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘scarf’

I’ve been wanting to knit Anne Hanson’s Alhambra Scarf for some time. This winter, I cracked open a skein of cashmere and silk, and finally got around to it.

 What a fun little pattern. Just enough to be interesting without taking up too much mental capacity.

Except that, when I went to take it off of the blocking wires, an extra hole opened up. Must’ve dropped a stitch somewhere.

No, it’s not supposed to look like this.

I could just go in and do the repair, but it’s in a really obvious spot near the end. So, now I’m going to rip out the last couple of repeats and re-do that section. Not a big deal – maybe three hours of work – but annoying, because I thought that I was done with this project.

 

9/7/12: Edited to add some photos of the finished scarf.

All fixed!

I always love blocking out lace.

Read Full Post »

Cobweb Lace Scarf

DSCN0398 In October, I wrote about a lace scarf I was knitting, based on the Cobweb Lace Stole pattern found in the Spring 2008 issue of Interweave Knits. At the time, I said that Interweave hadn’t put any good photos of the stole in the magazine, and that I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the pattern called for some really cool new-to-me lace stitches.

I finished the scarf a few weeks ago, blocked it, and then pretty much forgot about photographing it until a friend mentioned something on this blog to me this morning. I came home, looked at the blog, and realized that it has been almost a month since I posted anything here! Yes, I’m still here, everything’s OK, I’ve just been busy. Busy is good! It certainly beats laying around on the couch most of the time, which is what I did for much of last year.

So, I finally have some scarf photos. I only purchased one skein of the yarn I DSCN0401 used, which as it turned out was not quite enough to make a full-sized scarf. I shortened the scarf and added a “keyhole,” so it will still be wearable. As I had mentioned in my previous post, I also re-wrote the lace chart to accommodate the decreased number of stitches and adjust the motif spacing along the body of the scarf. I’m pleased to say that the adjusted lace work came out quite nicely.

I’m not so pleased about the yarn I chose. Many of my friends adore working with the single ply yarns produced by Malabrigo. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Malabrigo Lace which I used for this scarf was stronger and less prone to breakage than I expected, I was not so pleased with how it it wearing and how easily it attracts dirt. I had to weave in the yarn tails well before I was finished with the project (something I’m never needed to do before) because they began fuzzing out so badly, and the finished piece has already started looking a bit ratty and felted. Given the rough life most of my scarves tend to live, I’m going to have to treat this item with extreme care. For now, however, it does still look nice, so I’ll fold it up, store it with my good winter coat and plan to wear it over Christmas.

More catch-up blogging tomorrow!

Read Full Post »